More than 200 Rarotonga residents who received their first dose of the Covid-19 Pfizer vaccine three weeks ago, did not return for their second jab.
The second dose vaccination rollout for the island ended
yesterday with 8069 residents receiving their jabs.
According to Te Marae Ora Ministry of Health, a total of
8602 have had their first dose, including 311 this week, in Rarotonga.
Phase one of the vaccination programme for the island which
started on May 18 and wrapped up on May 30 saw a total of 8291 receiving their
first shot of a two-dose vaccine
Health spokesperson Jaewynn McKay yesterday said: “222
people who had their first dose three or so weeks ago did not present for their
second dose. Hopefully they will when those who received their first dose this
week get their second in a few weeks’ time.”
In a post on its Facebook page last night, the ministry
confirmed another date will be set for those who did not attend or missed out
taking their second dose and also those who wants to take the first dose. The
dates and time will be published soon.
Earlier this week Health Secretary Bob Williams in a
statement said he was particularly concerned that while people on Rarotonga
readily had their first Pfizer shot, some were not turning up on the allocated
date for the second one.
Williams also warned people they may not be able to travel
overseas if they were not fully vaccinated with both shots.
Emirates Airlines – one of the world’s largest carriers –
recently required a Cook Islands resident to provide evidence of vaccination in
order to fly overseas, he said.
Last week Stuff reported that New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has also indicated New Zealand will only be open to vaccinated tourists when the border…